Living Stones Updates

 
 
 
  • About

    Updates to the software and services provided by Living Stones Ministry
  • Living Stones Ministry

    The mission of Living Stones Ministry is to be used by God to build up His body, the Church, by providing software tools and building blocks

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 
CSS and IE January 14th, 2006

Don’t you hate it when the trivial gets in the way of the important… The last couple of days I’ve been plagued with trying to resolve a bug with how Internet Explorer deals with CSS. For some reason, in IE, text runs off the right side of the page, while it works fine in Mozilla.

I don’t really want to come up with some kludgy fix that is likely to break again when IE 7 comes out, so I’ve basically gone back to redesign the whole framework in a way that hopefully will work in all browsers. Right now, my test pages are generally looking a whole lot better (but not perfect). I might have to go with it for now and get back to real work.

Sermon activity January 9th, 2006

I’m scheduled to meet with the pastors at my church this Wednesday. They’ve asked a few times if I could help with organizing the way they upload sermons to the church website. In preparation for that, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend organizing my thoughts (and building some prototypes) for how sermons would fit into the whole building block/portal/web services model. I’m pretty pumped about the possibilities… I’m still hoping that I’ll get the Starter Kit out late this month, and then I think Sermons becomes a great candidate for the next package

Titles and in-line comments January 5th, 2006

For the past few days I’ve been doing a lot of work with the World English Bible translation. The source document I’ve been using is in the General Bible Format. This means there’s relatively rich information, including chapter titles, titles within chapters (e.g. the sections of Psalm 119), in-line comments, information about formatting (e.g. red letters for Christ’s words, centered poetry sections, right alignment for “Selah”, etc.).

In my initial upload of this translation, I tried to capture some of this (especially formatting) but – although this looked cool – it caused problems when someone wanted to look at a verse or two out of the context of the whole chapter (formatting tags might be opened, but not closed, or vice versa). While I was in cleaning that up, I decided to better capture the titles and in-line comments.

Everything seems to be working well now, so you can check out some examples, like the chapter title to Psalm 51, the section titles in Psalm 119, and the comment to the name Yahweh in Psalms 1:2 (click the asterisk).

I welcome any feedback!

First Building Block published January 5th, 2006

The first building block has been published. It makes it easy to add Bible search and passage lookup to any web page (that has PHP available…). It uses the Seek First/Living Stones web services so that the web developer has access to the growing list of public domain Bible translations at Seek First without having to duplicate all of the Bible content on his own web server. (In other words, your visitors will stay on your site under your control – they won’t be sent to another site to read the Bible.)

We’ve been working on perfecting this through the Seek First portal, which now obviously uses this building block.

As with any other building block we will publish, this is “open source” software, under the Living Stones license (meaning the software can only be used to glorify God, which should isn’t very restrictive since we are commended to do everything to His glory!). Folks are encouraged to take the software, modify it to meet their specific needs (e.g. hard-code selection of a specific translation) and drop it into the HTML/CSS code on their web-pages.